Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yet some more of Jenny's UFOs

After shoveling snow yesterday afternoon, I'm not good for much until the Ibuprofen kicks in so here are a few more.


10. This one is based on "Country Manor" in Evelyn Sloppy's Strips and Strings although I made the blocks slightly smaller (5" trimmed). It's predominantly fall tones (don't ask me why) using strings from my scrap basket with black/cream in the pinwheels. I have about half the blocks complete. The string blocks are easy; for some reason, making the half-triangle squares is slowing me down - I think it's because I shifted from half-triangle squares to crumbs as my thread-savers. I started this one since moving back to DC.


11. This one uses the same concept as project #10 with slightly larger blocks (6" trimmed) and two different color schemes for the pinwheels. The blocks are almost complete other than adding the corners to the final four. I have most of the blocks assembled into sets of four so the final assembly should go quickly. It will be twin-sized.


12. Yet another project from Evelyn Sloppy's Strips and Strings (yes, I like the book). It's hard to tell from this image - the backgrounds are navy blue celestial/Christmas fabrics with silver and the star fabric (amazing but true that I limited myself to one!) is white with silver swirls. The strippies are Christmas prints - it's scary how many boxes of those I have. I have most of the strippy bits complete but need to cut the background and star pieces.


13. This one is based on the 2008 CFC quilt Jackie, Elaine and I put together although I changed the star blocks for easier piecing. This was intended as a housewarming gift but it won't actually work in the room it was intended to warm so I'm rethinking its size. If I go from twin to queen, I'll need about 5 more blocks.


14. I picked up the pieces for this project while at the Houston quilt show in October 2009. The larger pieces are hand-embroidered by South African women and depict aspects/characters in various native folktales. Each block comes with a copy of the pertinent story which I plan to include on the back. I need a fat quarter of one more African batik for the setting squares. The black on white batik will be the sashing between blocks. It'll be a wall-hanging.

No comments: