Sunday, February 14, 2010

Third time's a charm


Just wanted to show off something finished and thought I'd post this series of three quilts that I started last November in an effort to make a signature quilt for a former boss who was retiring in December from the Tennessee Division. The first image which I call "Surfer Frog Enjoys his Day" was the first try. I rejected it because it was too white and seemed rather juvenile.


This second attempt (Up and Away) was better but I became concerned about whether there was really room for folks to sign it. The balloons on the border are the reason for the name. Martha used this one to send a friend to celebrate the arrival of his son.







Third time really was the charm for this effort. This is the quilt I sent to Bobby in mid-January. It's called "Transportation to the Fishing Hole" - hmm, can you tell what his hobby is? - and gave me a chance to use some sample fabrics I've been hauling around since I picked them up back in 1998 or so. Check the four large squares around the central block. It has signatures from both the Iowa and Tennessee Divisions. I think it came out great!

All three quilts are based on Karen Rinauld's Generous Giving book although the last quilt's is a hybrid of concepts.

No comments: