Sunday, January 31, 2010

Retail Therapy is Good For You and Good for the Economy, Too!

I've done the math. A visit to the shrink costs about $150 for an hour. You see a shrink about once a week. More if you are really bad off. That's about $600 a month. If you are lucky enough to have good insurance, they might cover about %40. So that leaves $360 out of your pocket.

How do you feel after visiting the shrink? Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

If I go to the fabric shop I always feel better even if I don't buy anything.

I get a break from my problems and when I am on my way home, I find new solutions to my issues and feel good.

If I manage to find something I like, I think about all the things I will make from that fabric. The inspiration makes me feel good and I'm not thinking about my problems. Problems will always be there. Getting a respite from them is important. Getting some distance from them, helps resolve them or find new approaches to deal with them.

Quilting is very good therapy and much cheaper than a shrink. Plus you meet nice people, visit new and exciting places looking for fabrics and in the end you get to have nice quilts.

ttfn :) Yuki

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Hi Yuki- thanks for explaining it all to me in terms of mental health. I really like the part in your post about "meeting nice people and visiting new places". I dropped off the chicken fabric from Variety Store (thanks to Jenny for getting the extra piece) at my friend Beth's house yesterday--to be used for nametags for a quilting retreat with a "chicken" theme. She showed me the batik fabrics that she bought at Discount Sewing (?) in Kauai last week on her vacation, and talking about the quilting stores in and near Kapa'a. Yes, having quilty friends and travelling with quilting in mind is a good thing, and good for mental health.