Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fourteen UFOs and I stopped counting!

It did not seem possible to finish more than 14 this year - so I just quit looking. The following are my UFOs -

1) Sky Scrapper Quilt - designed off of a ABC ad in the New York Times and hanging on my design wall. The top is pretty far along

2) Crazy Quilt wall hanging - intended for the upstairs landing in our house. I have been working on this one for years! I think I just need one or two more squares then I can assemble the top.

3) Penny quilts - I have two that were going to be Christmas presents, I have to finish those first. Then I want to do one for our house - that one may be next year!

4) Fancy log cabin quilt - this one is from a class that Jenny and I took at the Smithsonian. I am using the little bits of embroidery that I buy at estate sales for the center and then solid purple and yellow around the edges. I did not have a specific project or recipient in mind when i started, but a couple days ago I realized it would be perfect for a friend who lost her mother last fall. So I am making it a lap quilt size. More on this in the next post.

5) Pinwheel quilt - this one is with string triangles and lots of solid colors for the pin wheels. I was going strong on it, until I realized I was doing it backwards so the pinwheels did not work! That brought everything to a halt. I just need to get back to it.

6) Wacky Square quilt - based on a design I saw in the "Quilt National" book. Blues, purples, and oranges with something unique in the middle. I haven't decided what the "unique" thing will be!

7) Blue Jean Circle quilt - I am actually pretty far along on this one. Lots of blue jeans from Jennie and my family have given their lives for this quilt! If any one has blue jeans they don't want I have a use for them!

8) Men's ties project - Several years ago a neighbor gave me two boxes of men's ties. I have sorted the really ugly one out, taken them apart, washed and ironed them. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them. I was thinking shoulder bags or maybe a funky quilts. For now they are in a basket on my shelf.

9) Flying Geese Quilt - based on a piece of Indian pottery I saw. This is all tiny black and white triangles - what was I thinking? It should look great when it is finished, but yikes!

10) Stairwell quilt - Everyone in Stitch and Bitch is sick of hearing about this one! The idea is to make a long narrow quilt to hang in my stair well that looks like the ocean underwater. Lighter blues at the top, grading to dark blues and purples at the bottom, with coral, jelly fish etc. appliqued on the top. I have lots of fabric for this one, but haven't made one cut yet. Mainly because I have no idea how to do this.

11) 3 - 6 - 9 Quilt - I think this is actually like the turning twenty quilts, but it is based on a quilt I saw in Indiana before I knew about the turning twenty idea. I have cut lots of pieces that are all in multiples of 3. The fabric is all satins, velvets, etc. It will be a bitch to sew but I think it will look great.

12) 1930's quilt - I have been collecting 30"s fabric scraps from antique stores and estate sales and have bought new "30s" fabric. I have no idea what pattern I will use, but I love the design and colors in the fabric.

There are also three completed quilt tops and backs that need to be pinned and sent off for quilting. I am not going to count those because pinning doesn't seem like real quilting, however, I would love to get those out this year also.

So now I should get back to work on number 4!

Kim F

No comments: