Tuesday, June 29, 2010

NYC Garment District

Hi Everyone - I got home from NYC last night. I went to the Garment district on Saturday a.m. I liked Pacific Trimming where I bought a couple of yards of soft "ribbon" flowers that I will use to embellish t-shirts - my new favorite clothing choice. They had a very large selection of handbag handles for about $4 each.
I also bought a few yards of "braid" to embellish hand towels at M&J trimming. I like to buy plain white towels and then trim with braid to make them look custom. I even bought some fabric to make sundress, now I need to find a pattern. I used a document from Paula Nadelstern's website to figure out what to look at. One place I wanted to go (Handloom Batik) was no longer in Manhattan, so sad. Nancy even went with me to Purl Soho, but the warehouse in Orange County was way more fun. I didn't buy anything there.

Nancy and I went to see a Nora Ephron (and her daughter) theatrical piece (not a play) called "Love, Loss and What I wore." It was fun, but not very deep, even if there were mentions of divorce, breast cancer, and death. One of the funniest bits (I thought) was about women's purses, and another about bras. I think it is quite a good idea as a way to start thinking about writing an autobiography. We also could draw a favorite piece of clothing. I drew my wedding dress, maybe because I was watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on cable TV in the hotel room. I am so happy that I spent $79 (I think) on my dress, at an outlet store in Dallas-Ft Worth during a Planning Applications conference. Too bad I can't fit into it anymore. I find it quite appalling that people on that TV show have $3,000 - 7,000 to spend!

We had a wonderful dinner a block away from the theatre at a place called West Bank Cafe. Nancy had some kind of fish, and I had a black pepper pasta with duck and mushrooms. It was delicious.

I'll be in Wash DC in mid to late July. See you soon.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I must have been crazy to think I was going to make a sundress! I am finally cutting out the fabric tonight. I bought 3 different patterns, but am using only 2, one for the bodice and one for the skirt. At least the patterns were only 99 cents each at Joanne's. I need to iron some tissue paper so that I can lengthen the bodice pieces, as my neck-waist length is longer than average. this seems like an incredible amount of work! I keep telling myself I could have bought a sundress at Target for under $30!

Elaine said...

I am making progress on my dress. I have only one more step on the bodice, and then need to sew the bodice and skirt together, put in the zipper and the hem. That's it! My advice is when starting back to sewing, choose a really simple pattern. This pattern had 6 pieces, but has a lined bodice. Also, I spent a lot of time adjusting the size, since I hadn't sewn clothes for myself for such a long time.

It is grey, dreary and rainy in Seattle. I don't think it will even hit 70 degrees today. A good day to sew.