Friday, March 12, 2010

Two completed UFOs plus one

Here are the first two completed UFOs from my list for this year (although I did pick up on the fact that my definition of completed varies slightly from the rest of the group in that I'm thinking of just getting the top finished while everyone else is thinking quilted and bound before it counts as done - since I'm greatly in the minority, we'll go with the majority view). I'm really pleased with how they turned out. You will all be pleased to know that the first two projects are already down in North Carolina for quilting.

The first image is project 11 and I'm still looking for a name. I'm planning to send it to a Marine on Okinawa. Al's now the only family member without a quilt from me. I'll send it along with the baby quilt I'm making for the baby that will be arriving shortly. I'll be using the dark blue for binding since I pieced the back with a variety of outdoors prints - I think it's almost as much fun as the front. Mom thinks Al's getting the best deal since he'll be able to use the side that suits his mood - this side when he's looking for zing, the other side, not so much. I'll have to post a picture of it when I get it really done (bindings and all).



The second image is project 16 - Wacky Patriot, and I really like how it came out. I'm going to call this block the DIY square since you pick your final size and fill it in however you want. You'll notice that I didn't stick with the "every center is a square" concept. I went with one dark blue for the sashing but used a variety of reds for the setting squares (yes, there are repeats!). I plan to bind this one in red. I didn't have nearly as much fun with this back.




This is the bonus quilt - one of the three that Clara is helping me move along. She added the borders. I have the back put together and the batting cut (yup, it's the left-overs from the other two) but wasn't able to get it pin-basted before Mom and Dad headed home. (Family events can really adversely affect project completion - especially when they occur in your own home!) I call this one "Bunting" and it'll go to QFV when it's done.



2 comments:

Yuki said...

I really like the border on the last one. Great print.

ttfn :) Yuki

Elaine said...

Great job getting those tops done Jenny! I think the border fabric is something I picked up in Elkhorn, WI during our "long arm quilting" adventure, and I gave to Jenny cuz she was doing so many r/w/b quilts.

I did not get the borders added to the Orange T's yesterday and instead started another top! It is r/w/b--maybe I was subconsciously influenced by Jenny's tops. Actually, I think I was using the leftovers from the American Heroes top that I finished and decided to make more red/white 4-patches.

I am going to miss my monthly Bellevue quilt group on Monday, as Frank and I are planning to go to Indonesian restaurant that is having a gamelan performance.